Thursday, March 26, 2009

Everything Is New Again



We finally took our little one out in public with a big group of people (all of whom were family). She has just about hit the three month (post chemotherapy) six month (total) mark. Her bodies immune system is back up to a healthy level and we have been cleared to start taking her out. My parents have been out of the country since her diagnosis and beginning of treatment and they were able to come and visit for a week. We decided it would be a good time to let her get out and see the world again. I wasn't expecting her to react to things the way she did. Everything was new again, it was a first all over again. I suppose she was and still is little so she may not remember everything, but it has been so much fun to watch her. When we went to the restaurant to eat dinner she couldn't keep her eyes off of the lights on the ceiling and the fabric hanging and the paintings on the walls. I would feed her a bit of dinner and then she would point up at the ceiling and watch the fabric hanging under the lights blowing from the heater that was on the ceiling as well then she would point to the walls and so on and so on. She loved it. She kept saying "ooooh, ooooh, ooooh". She also discovered people, watching them and trying to talk to them. We went bowling and I wasn't quite ready to let her roam free at any of these public places, but I put her in the stroller and for an hour and a half she sat in there mesmerized by all of the people walking around her (most of which were family/kids that she hadn't seen for almost 6 months). I did give her things to do in the stroller, but she didn't really need any of it, she was completely excited to just be out! Another discovery she made was her hair. She has been rubbing her hair since the moment it started growing back, but the other morning I was blow drying the hair on both of her sisters when she walked over to me. I turned the blow dryer on her and she ran away and then froze and started grabbing at her head. Then she came back and put her head in front of the blow dryer again and just started giggling the moment the wind blew her hair. She loved it, she kept standing by the blow dryer and then running away giggling only to come back for more. She did it almost the entire time the blow dryer was turned on. It is so fun to watch her rediscover her world. I think I am just about as excited about it all as she is!

9 comments:

Angie said...

It makes you just want to look around and enjoy the scenery. Seriously. That is such a great story and CONGRATS on the adventures that are outside. Plenty more to come, I am sure.

Tara said...

So cute. That is exciting. I think we are all feeling a little excited to get back into the world and say goodbye to winter. We are so glad that all is well. We pray it's a perfect year for your family.

Amy Marble said...

What a fun post! That's great that you were able to get out ALL together again. I'm sure it was a nice change for all of you. That's great that you were able to be with your parents for a few days too! I'm so glad each time I read that things are going so well for your little girl!!

Julie said...

Those are some sweet stories. We all had so much fun with her and the rest of your clan the other day. I know all of my kids have sure missed being with their cousins!! It was a happy reunion.

Wendy said...

What a beautiful post Sarah! It's like looking at the world with a whole new set of eyes. We really do take for granted what we have and see every day. I am so glad the she/you are doing so well. Keep us updated :)

Kristen said...

That is so great that she gets to be in public now. I'm sure you are very happy. I am so glad that she is getting better. I really appreciate your strong testimony, you are so amazing I have a lot to learn.

Janae B said...

I can't tell you how good it was to see your family at the wedding. Did my heart so much good. I love your family and it was fun that they actually knew who I was! It made me realize that we need to aquaint the cousins. I always knew my second cousins growing up and somehow that hasn't happened with us and I miss that. So we need to have a party! I think we need to learn that we all need to stop and visualize the world and those around us. We have definetly taken them for granted.

okerlund family said...

So good to see your little family down south!!! It did my heart good as well to see little Alyssa looking so well. I hope the road ahead steers clear of many bumps. Your family is such a darling bunch!! It was just great to see you all out together in a public place. Alyssa's little discoveries are so precious. Wow, the things we so take for granted. Thanks for sharing again. Love you all. mary

Doug and Carol Ann said...

What sweet moments!! We're so excited to see some pictures of her with her new hair. You all will enjoy getting out this spring and summer to enjoy the beauties of nature. We love and appreciate each of you, and we hope this month brings good news with the upcoming testing! Love and miss you. Gr and Gr R