Friday, October 10, 2008

Ready or Not Here We Go





The oncologist called today and let us know that the Pathology report was in: the type of Germ Cell Tumor is called a Yolk Sac Tumor. Now I don't know a whole lot about it (so I am sure my computer will get much use over the next couple of days). The oncologist answered a few questions that I had and said don't worry too much you will have plenty of time to get all of your questions answered and become an expert on Yolk Sac Tumors. Our little girls medical plan is as follows: She will go in next Thursday and will spend 3-5 days in the hospital as she begins her Chemo treatments. The oncologist listed three different types of chemo medicine that they will be using. The first is cisplatin (this is the one they will be using the most of) the oncologist informed me that some of the side effects are problems with her kidneys and also some loss of hearing. She assured me that not everyone has problems with these but that they are the side effects they are most concerned with for our daughter. The second medicine is etoposide, the side effect of this one is problems with blood pressure and the last one (I am not sure if I am spelling this one correctly the oncologist was difficult to hear when I asked her to spell this one and she did it twice and so I didn't dare ask again) bleomycin this drug can effect her lungs (they said they are not to worried about this one because they will not be using very much of this drug). Of course with all chemo medications there will be the nausea, vomiting and possible blood transfusions. After her stay in the hospital she will spend 3 weeks at home and then repeat the process 3 more times ( a total of 4 rounds of this treatment process). It feels nice to finally know the plan and what we have ahead of us for the next while. I said to my mom the other day "I am tired of get bad news every time we get answers it seems like it is more bad news." I think I keep hoping that they will call and say it is not cancer and wow what a miracle, but that doesn't seem to happen. Although now that I think about it there are some good things we have heard: she will not need any radiation (we hope), she may not need surgery (we hope), her bone scan and bone marrow draws are clear (hooray), her CT scan looks clear and it looks like we caught it early on. So, I do know that there are some things we have heard that are GOOD news! I guess whether we are ready or not we will start into her treatments next week. We still feel hopeful that things will go well for her during her treatments.

6 comments:

Lilies and Lace said...

You and Mike have already shown that you are tough nuts! You know the saying that Heavenly Father doesn't give you anything you can't handle. Well, I think that he does (if you were to try to handle it alone.) But He gives you a trial and then hands you the tools - love, spirit, family, wisdom to be able to overcome and hopes that you will work together with Him. I think you are definitely on the right track for that. Just remember that you need to use us to help and don't be afraid to ask for anything. We want to help in whatever way we can. And I mean my family as well as all of our family. We love you and will continually keep Alyssa and your family in our thoughts and prayers.

clove said...

We just wanted to let you know that you are in our thoughts and prayers. Please do not hesitate to ask if you need help. Nothing will be too small or large. We love your family and want to be there for you. We've had our flu shots so we are ready to help!

Brinda said...

My heart breaks to hear of all that she'll have to go through, but what a blessing for her to have such strong and faithful parents! Our prayers will be with you guys!
Love Brinda and family

Janae B said...

Mike and Sarah, I wanted to share a website with you that you can use when you are away from home and in waiting rooms etc. and you have your computer available to you. It has so many possibilities. It is also great for anyone wanting to use it who live so far from home and you want to keep a journal. The website is: www.myldsjournal.com you can go in and set it up. Steven and I have been using this. It is awesome. Enjoy. We love you and appreciate your keeping us updated.

Matt and Lena said...

We don't know each other but we share mutual friends (jed and jamie southwick). I just got off the phone with her and she was telling me about your little girl. I am so sorry to hear about your new 'trial'. I have felt these same feelings you have written about and the same anxiety of the unknown you are feeling. My little boy was diagnosed with leukemia 18 months ago. Life altering news!! To hear you talk about her line and emergency kits, hand sanitizer, and no visitors, brings back to many memories. I was a lot like you in the fact that I was not much of a homebody before. (Now I don't go anywhere unless I absolutely have to!) It was really hard to adjust to everything you have to know (so much info @ once) but you sound like you are doing well with that. The Dr.'s are great and the nurses are even better!! (Kathy from Boston was our favorite while inpatient). Please feel free to e-mail me if you need a shoulder to cry on or simply to vent. I hope and pray you have family close to help you. I have 3 other children and one of my biggest fears was how the other kids would handle it. Take advantage of the Sibling Clubs they have at the hospital if you can. They (your other kids) are tougher than you think. It isn't easy but just know there are many prayers being sent your way. Let people serve you . . . it is your turn now . . . you will have the opportunity to pay them back in the future. You deserve to be taken care of:) The journal thing is very theraputic and great to look back on. I promise there are things you will forget happened but the Lord has his hand in all things. . . It's great to reread them!! Take advantage of visiting with the other 'cancer moms'. You can gain much strength from their struggles. Sorry I wrote a novel but I would love to hear from you if you ever get a chance.
From one cancer MOM to another,
waymat99@plmw.com
Lena

Shane said...

Sarah & Mike, I'm sorry to be informed of your situation. I just heard about it from Amy. I hope things turn out for the best and your family will be in our prayers.

Shane, Katie, Braydon Rogers

(If there is anything we can do, please let us know!!!)